Because the name was used so frequently, the town was called Laramie City for decades to distinguish it from other uses.
In March 1870, five Laramie residents became the first women in the world to serve on a jury.
Early businesses included rolling mills, a railroad-tie treatment plant, a brick yard, a slaughterhouse, a brewery, a glass manufacturing plant, and a plaster mill, as well as the railroad yards. Several regional railroads were based in Laramie, including the Laramie, North Park and Pacific Railroad and Telegraph Company founded in 1880 and the Laramie, North Park and Western Railroad established in 1901. Warren signed a bill that established the University of Wyoming (UW) in 1886, the only public university in the state.
Laramie's fame as the western terminal of the Union Pacific Railroad, acquired when the 268-mile (431 km) section from North Platte, Nebraska was opened in May ended in early August 1868 when a 93-mile (150 km) section of track was opened to Benton, 6 miles (9.7 km) east of present-day Sinclair, Wyoming. Long was Laramie's first marshal, and with his brothers owned the saloon Bucket of Blood. Boswell, organized a "Vigilance Committee" in response.
The three began harassing settlers, forcing them to sign over the deeds to their property to them. On October 28, 1868, Boswell led the committee into the Bucket of Blood, overwhelmed the three brothers, and lynched them at an unfinished cabin down the street.
Laramie was named for Jacques La Ramie, a French or French-Canadian trapper who disappeared in the Laramie Mountains in the late 1810s and was never heard from again.
He was one of the first Europeans to visit the area.
However, the judge ruled that the opponents had failed to meet their burden of showing significant problems with the election, and the ordinance, which had become effective in April 2005, remained in effect.
Laramie is on a high plain between two mountain ranges, the Snowy Range, about 30 miles (48 km) to the west, and the Laramie Range, 7 miles (11 km) to the east. Route 287, and it remains an important junction on the Union Pacific Railroad line.
However, the voters upheld the ordinance in a citywide referendum which was conducted concurrently with the 2004 general election.