Stephenson, who had married into the local Hispanic aristocracy, established the Rancho de San José de la Concordia, which became the nucleus of Anglo and Hispanic settlement within the limits of modern-day El Paso, in 1844.
Given the reclamations of the Texas Republic that wanted a chunk of the Santa Fe trade, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo effectively made the settlements on the north bank of the river a formal American settlement, separate from Old El Paso del Norte on the Mexican side.
It was then headquarters for the 5th Regiment California Volunteer Infantry until December 1864.
After the Civil War's conclusion, the town's population began to grow as Texans continued to move into the villages and soon became the majority.
William Beaumont Army Medical Center, Biggs Army Airfield, and Fort Bliss call the city home. El Paso has been ranked the safest large city in the U. for four consecutive years The earliest known cultures in the region were maize farmers.
Fort Bliss is one of the largest military complexes of the United States Army and the largest training area in the United States. When the Spanish arrived, the Manso, Suma, and Jumano tribes populated the area.
The present Texas–New Mexico boundary placing El Paso on the Texas side was drawn in the Compromise of 1850.
El Paso County was established in March 1850, with San Elizario as the first county seat.
El Paso del Norte (the present day Juárez), was founded on the south bank of the Río Bravo del Norte (Rio Grande), in 1659 by Fray Garcia de San Francisco.
In 1680, the small village of El Paso became the temporary base for Spanish governance of the territory of New Mexico as a result of the Pueblo Revolt, until 1692 when Santa Fe was reconquered and once again became the capital.
Also headquartered in El Paso are the DEA domestic field division 7, El Paso Intelligence Center, Joint Task Force North, U. These were subsequently incorporated into the Mestizo culture, along with immigrants from central Mexico, captives from Comanchería, and genízaros of various ethnic groups. celebrating a Thanksgiving Mass there on April 30, 1598 (decades before the Pilgrims' Thanksgiving).
However, the four survivors of the Narváez expedition, Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca, Alonso del Castillo Maldonado, Andrés Dorantes de Carranza, and his enslaved Moor Estevanico, are thought to have passed through the area in the mid-1530s.
The region of over 2.7 million people constitutes the largest bilingual, binational work force in the western hemisphere.